Sunday 26 February 2012

Praxitella

'Praxitella' is a painting by Percy Wyndham-Lewis, and is hung in Leeds City Art Gallery. I have seen her numerous times, and every time I do I fall in love with her all over again. She was Iris Barry - the Curator of Film at MOMA in New York - when Wyndham-Lewis knew (loved) her, but I am happy to settle for the painting.
The lovely Kandra Norsigian sent me half a dozen Labradorite cabs a few weeks ago, and the only thing I could think of whilst looking at them was 'Praxitella' - this is the easiest piece I have ever named! 
Here's the painting, and my interpretation of it......................



5 comments:

  1. I love this gemstone, and although not familiar with the artwork I can see why you were inspired by the two pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo, now that's a powerful design!
    Interesting to see how you took inspiration from such a strong painting. Absolutely adore the Labradorite cabs, can imagine really getting lost in their detail in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The necklace is aptly named. I can see the connection to the painting, too. Wonderful piece, Peter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice design,Peter.
    Modest,ascetic and elegant.
    Not overembellished,clear form.
    The color and the mood fully refers to the painting.
    Greetings-Halinka-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings Peter,
    This is a wonderful and substantial neck piece :)
    Happy Holiday Weekend,
    -Eva Maria

    ReplyDelete